Spring is here!
Its time to get those covers off of boats, air out the cabin and break out the water hoses! Its Springtime! which means Boating time!! Although not a complete list, here are some things to check for during springtime….
- NEVER plan to go out the first time you get to the boat – Always come down to the boat and go through a complete systems check on the boat before you ever venture out on the lake. Wintertime is a long time for things to sit way too long, so always do a dry run after the first boat washing.
- Always change oil – Its always best to have oil changed first thing in spring. Every season is like starting the boat for the first time, so you want all those fluids filled and topped off so that if an underlying issue is present it will be more noticeable. Change those fluids.
- Battery test – sometimes battery chargers can dry up cells in flooded batteries, so make sure the cells have plenty of acid covering all the lead inside the battery.
- Run those engines! – always inspect the bilge area and check for leaks. Hoses get fragile, flex, contract and expand during the winter months, so be sure to run those engines up to temperature before leaving the dock.
- Safety first! – Gear gets old, and so do people. Ever changing bodies(Especially after Thanksgiving and Christmas) means we need to make sure the gear still fits and operates. Check the jackets. Make sure everyone has one and that they all fit! Check the signal flares expirations date. Make sure the horn works and the anchor is serviceable.
This is just a small list of things to look for. Every boat is unique in what it may need but with these basic rules, it will make your first day on the water more enjoyable!